Monday 29 September 2008

Hooked-anti smoking Ads

This "Hooked" anti smoking ads campaign is a really effective campaign which really leaves you thinking about it after viewing it. It really does shock you when you look at it, it is somewhat disturbing, but it does make you stop and think about the message of the campaign. 

The posters read " The average smoker needs over five thousand cigarettes a year. Get unhooked". I personally think the imagery works great with the copy and really makes you think twice about smoking.

This Ad did spark nearly 800 complaints about the imagery as it deeply offended a lot of people but surely this is exactly what the campaign was meant to do, it was meant to shock people.

The way that it sparked controversy makes the campaign more appealing to me.


4 comments:

EmmaCharlotte said...

I agree with you Em, even though the image isn't nice to look at, neither is it nice to have a smoking addiction, so I would think the campaign would be effective. It certainly doesnt make me want to start smoking. Aren't they thinking of putting pictures of what smoking can do to your body on cigarette packets now as well? I wander if this would be anymore effective than the current warnings the packets feature..and how long before they start doing something similar on alcohol??

Jo Gardner said...

Great campaign, but I don't think it will stop smokers smoking...I don't really think any campaign will it just needs will power on their part! I think it would definitely stop people from starting though?! Especially children. I think its the same with the packets they've just brought out with all the minging diseases and stuff!

Emily Jameson said...

thats true Joe, the adds are shocking but do they really stop people from smoking, and the answer is no. When i went to thailand my friends bought cigarette packets with the disturbing images on them, and it didnt stop them smoking the cigarettes. Giving up smoking is not as easy as what people think. But as a non smoker, i agree with em, that the campaigns like the 'Hooked' campaign and the campaign of putting consequencial images of what smoking does to you on the packets, does put you off ever taking up smoking.

Robert H said...

I think that is an interesting way to look at it Jo. The trick probably is to discourage younger people from picking up the habit in the first place which I guess is what the NHS tried to do with the TV ad over summer which targetted parents who smoke.